# What is Vue Storefront?
Vue Storefront is a platform-agnostic headless e-commerce PWA frontend framework that may work with any backend that you are already using via its API regardless of the platform, be it e-commerce, CMS, ERP, PIM, or anything else.
We mean by
- platform-agnostic : Vue Storefront will work with any platform and service that you're using as long as it's exposing some kind of REST or GraphQL API.
- headless : Your e-commerce platform as a whole system can be built on top of a set of different technologies. No mandatory combination for the platform is required. Manifestation of low coupling and high cohesion is here and will stay with us until the end.
- e-commerce : Essentially Vue Storefront was born as the e-commerce framework. By the nature of headless and microservice, however, you might connect it to whatever you set it to, say, a helper service for ERP, or versatile search features for PIM, and portable checkout for 3rd party payment kiosk, and so on. Limit is your imagination.
- PWA : PWA is the thing of future, it is designed to give best performance even on laggy mobile devices with native-like features from the beginning in order to satisfy your customers who are curious, rich, and impatient.
- framework : Even though Vue Storefront is a set of atomic features, they should be guided as one by the conductor. We do so by gluing them through interfaces and factories. We will dig this further later, but one thing to take away, they are quite flexible glues.
# Problems Vue Storefront will solve for you
The main purpose of any software is to solve problems. Vue Storefront is no different. We're doing our best to find common issues in eCommerce space (and in our software!) and find viable solutions to them. Below you can find just a few of the issues Vue Storefront will solve for you.
# Long time to market
Headless eCommerce frontends are complex and developing them can take a lot of time.
Solution With Vue Storefront you're getting a working headless frontend connected to eCommerce, CMS and other third-party services of your choice out of the box along with a hundreds of ready-to-use Vue Storefront and Nuxt modules for all common functionalities! Because of that you're saving hundreds (or even thousands) of working hours so you can focus more on details and polishing while leaving the heavy lifting to us!
# Slow, unresponsive online shop
No matter how great your products are slow and unresponsive shop will make your conversion significantly lower . Some estimates say up to 1% users will leave your website for every 100ms delay in page load time.
Solution Vue Storefront solves slow, unresponsive online shop problems as follows :
- The page load time is reduced significantly on average thanks to small bundle size, code splitting, lazy loading and a bunch of other web performance techniques that we used to make sure your shop will load as fast as possible.
- Pages that were already visited are cached so next time user enters them they will load instantly.
- Resources that might be needed in the future are precached so when the user clicks the link it loads immediately.
- When network connectivity is slow or temporarily lost you can stil browse the product catalog. In many cases its unnoticeable for the user.
Not only page load time but also responsiveness as a whole from the page is almost instant and seamless just as you would expect from a native app, if not better.
# Unwieldy architectural decisions
How painful was it when you had to meticulously fix tremendous amount of changes without patterns while you just want to add/remove a simple feature, or upgrade the framework as they claim security risk is at stake?
Solution Vue Storefront is promoting good architectural decisions by design. We're providing an opinionated way of building eCommerce frontends based on years of experience. Whatever troubles you could run into we made sure that our architecture and flexibility will got you covered.
# Painful migrations
How frustrated was it when you learned the other backend platform you didn't choose turned out better solution for your business, a lot better on many levels, but the cost of switching is even greater than the benefit of it you just learned? You were literally locked-in by tentative choices you made while you were naive.
Solution Vue Storefront is backend-agnostic which means all eCommerce backends are integrated on the frontend under common interfaces. All these technologies are completely different on the backend but they're very similar from the frontend perspective. We just made use of that fact and came up with abstractions that will make your migrations painless and almost instantaneous.
# Lack of platform-specific competences
So your Magento department is not doing very well but the commercetools one is growing like crazy? If only could you move developers from one department to another...
Solution ...wait! With Vue Storefront you can! We have the same interfaces for all integrations of the same type (eCommerce, CMS, Loyalty etc) so once a developer learns Vue Storefront he/she can be confident with any tech stack that works with it.
# Lack of flexibility
Do you recall the frustration when implementing your dream design is not possible within your backend platform, adding a single modal window takes 2 days or adding some specific feature is just not possible with the framework you're using?
Solution You will forget about these issues with Vue Storefront! For the best experience when it comes to maintaining the framework, we divided the system into the smallest chunks until it's not meaningful to do so. Technically all parts are wrapped in as individual
npm packages so switching from one version to another should be as easy as any
npm command. In short, it has been built on the firm ground of Mircroservice architecture. Each of these packages is independent and optional so its up to you how much of the framework you want to utilize. Moreover there are absolutely no limitations in terms of UI customization. Your theme is just a regular Nuxt.js project which you can customize to any degree.
# eCommerce Integrations
Vue Storefront is a frontend framework undoubtedly. It needs an e-commerce backend to fully function in its glory. Here is the list of e-commerce platform integrations already out in the field.
- Magento 2
- Shopware (as Shopware PWA)
- Shopify (Developers Preview)
- About You Cloud (Developers Preview)
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud (WIP)
- BigCommerce (WIP)
We will walk you with details of each integration in its dedicated guide.
# Benefits you take
- Blazingly fast frontend
- Ability to work with any eCommerce platform, CMS, ERP, PIM under common, agnostic API
- Server Side Rendereing
- Progressive Web App features
- Unlimited flexibility in changing third-party services thanks to agnostic data formats
# Tech stack
- Vue.js (opens new window)
- Nuxt.js (opens new window)
- Storefront UI (opens new window) (optional)
- TypeScript (opens new window) (optional)